The line up for The Zubaan Anthology of Young Women Writers, Volume I
(which we helped publicise here
), has been finalised. Here's a note from the editor.
We have had an overwhelming response to the initial call for short stories put out over the web. From over 200 stories, sent in from across the globe, we have finally narrowed it down to 21.
It is customary for judges to say how tough the decision has been before announcing the Booker prize. Well, being published by Zubaan may not have the same effect on sales as winning the Booker, but the selection process has been just as difficult, given the range and quality of work submitted!
So – a big thank you to everyone who has submitted their work. Even if your story has not made it through to the final selection, I and my colleagues have enjoyed reading each and every one, and are encouraged and excited by the new generation of exceptionally talented young women writers out there. Write on!
If you’d like to view a feature that CNN/IBN did about the anthology, including interviews with two of the writers, Mridula Koshy and Annie Zaidi, check out this link.
We’re aiming to publish towards the end of this year, and will keep you posted.
And here’s the final line-up.
1. Tishani Doshi - Spartacus and the Dancing Man
2. Madhulika Liddle – Murk of Art
3. Meena Kandasamy – The Suicide’s Inbox
4. Aishwarya Subramanyam – Lotus
5. Shahnaz Habib - Something Special About Sayyida
6. Annie Zaidi – E.C.G.
7. Anju Mary Paul - Sunday Christians
8. Narmada Thiranagama - The Third Cloud
9. Anjum Hasan - ‘Like a Scene From all Those Movies’
10. Nisha Susan - Broadband and the Bookslut
11. Swarnalatha R - Through the Eye of the Needle
12. Epsita Halder (Graphic short story) Vaidehi
13. Mridula Koshy – The Large Girl
14. Diana Romany – Ferris Wheel
15. Paromita Chakravarti - Instant Honeymoon or Love in the time of Television
16. Ashima Sood – Everyday
17. Revati Laul – Drool
18. Adithi Rao – Mango Tree in the Desert
19. Roohi Choudhry – Hammer Gang
20. Ruchika Chanana – Hue and Cry
21. Sumana Roy - Award-Winning Writer