http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

19 April, 2005

Teacher, Rabbi

for Shastriji (and my other teachers) and Jesus - immortal mortals all

Teacher, Rabbi, you, who initiated me
led my weak fingers, held my unsteady hands
walked with me while i took those first few steps, wobbling, unsure

You who coached me
taught me the trade and the tricks
and waited patiently while i took my time unlearning and learning

Teacher, Rabbi, I rememember
your discipline when i erred
your encouragement while i tried

I remember
those first lessons, first tests
your stories and your riddles

Teacher, Rabbi, with time I grew
you passed your strength, your wisdom, your energy
and your seed became a tree, your spark a fire

With time I grew
stronger, higher, better
while you grew weak, and your light waxed low

Teacher, Rabbi, today you are dead
your voice silenced by time
your masterly gaze turned leaden

Today you are dead
but no you are not, a part of thee
lives in me, strong and vibrant

Teacher, Rabbi, you are immortal
for your legacy lives within us
and we shall in turn pass it on

Thanks Teacher, Thanks Rabbi
you who initiated us, you who coached us
you, becuase of who we are

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Pardon me for saying this, but this just feels too raw...it requires editing (to my eyes) - streamline those thoughts...the repetition of "today you are dead" seems to drag the pace of the poem down...

20 April, 2005 16:11  
Blogger Ami Titash said...

hmmm...point noted...but it was intended to be served raw. :)

23 April, 2005 15:34  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page