http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

29 May, 2005

Summer Sonnet

Like corporate annual reports,
Odes to summer, are, I confess,
Not among my favourite thoughts;
They're things I write under duress.
But having decided I would write one,
I sit, sweating, with pursed lips,
Should I make it funny, a light one?
Glib, nonsensical, even - gasp - flip?

(Alas! I'm using up the quota
Of lines the classic sonnet permits.
I wouldn't mind if it was shorter.
A full fourteen lines can be the pits.
Only two more lines? What a bummer!)
Oh well. Here's my poem: I hate summer.

Written for, and read at, the Bombay Summer read-meet.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha. That's a good one Peter. Written in the stifling heat inside an auto it seems!

But there seems to be a contradiction. Your summer article of some time back said you loved summer, the golas and all that stuff. Or is it my mistaken assumption?

Also why didn't you use the 4+4+4+2 format?

J

31 May, 2005 11:41  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page