http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

29 December, 2004

When I Write

And am done,
Shadows deepen
And all stars disappear one by one,
Like Saturn devouring his sons;
Leaving only
Dark cypresses swaying in the breeze
And my soul wailing in transit
To the unknown.

I walk dazed, aimless,
Wild-eyed, insomniac,
Listless, with catatonic fingers,
Fears mounting as I slowly believe
The truth in slashed syllables that bind me:
In the beginning was the word
And the word has now forsaken me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Anil said...

I like this not just b'cos it is good..loved "....I slowly believe
The truth in slashed syllables that bind me....".but more importantly b'cos it echoes what is going on in my mind for the pst few days...the beauty of peotry is increased when it touches your personal life. Hope you get your words back

29 December, 2004 16:41  
Blogger Annie Zaidi said...

you know the truths of many lives, nisha... and you know how to put them. :) give us more

29 December, 2004 17:50  
Blogger Pragya said...

Nisha, all I can really say is that you write incredibly beautiful poetry.

29 December, 2004 18:34  
Blogger Unknown said...

New here, but so impressed with the writing. I love the way you describe the hollow feeling afterhaving written... the way the stars were bright as you wrote but then go out one by one.

And there is a feeling of being in transit between pieces of writing. Great image.

And the last two lines pack the ultimate punch - the idea of the word forsaking you echoes God forsaking Jesus, the idea that what we trust to bring out the stars leaves us in transit, listless, catatonic, wild-eyed...

Perhaps just the condition needed to create again!

Great stuff. Thank you.

31 December, 2004 05:50  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Tres nice - I really liked the first stanza. But felt that the flow of the poem was restrained in the second stanza; infact I felt you ended very abruptly - it's like the muse truly did desert you!

Loved the word pictures you've employed, specially
"Dark cypresses swaying in the breeze
And my soul wailing in transit
To the unknown."

See ya soon! :-)

31 December, 2004 10:31  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page