http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

08 April, 2006

An SMS Poem

(: but not in SMSese :)

People saved love-letters, once;
mementoes, tied up with a ribbon
or a shoe-lace.
Souvenirs for solitary moments,
opened, smiled at, re-bound.
Or, more often, forgotten,
to be found 27 years later
when spring-cleaning.

I held your words too,
in their 160-character slices,
abbreviated, condensed, concentrated.
I held them close, took them everywhere –
added more, agonising over which one to delete,
because the phone card could take no more –
took them out to read
in strange, lonely places,
in crowded parties and busses,
in moments of joy
and sadness,
recalling special moments,
admissions made hurriedly.

I held your words next to me,
possessively, desperately
(one can't be parted
from one's phone these days,
which makes a good alibi),
unable to let go.

I guess I knew
I'd accepted that you
wouldn't be coming back
when I deleted them.

One.

By.

One.

[There's an older version of this here.]

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger passer by said...

i've myself done this before.
just needing your words and no more.
woke early to substitute your alarm chyme with my message.
at night, under the solitaries of my sheet i would text you a passage.

letters became calls, calls took form of message
messages were replaced by forwards..
now you are only a mirage.
wish my memory were a flash drive.
i could clear every text of ur silence's jibe.

15 April, 2006 10:04  
Blogger LAK said...

So true. We are saying more but conveying less, corresponding more ut communicating less.

15 April, 2006 23:18  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page