http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

10 December, 2004

Prophet

I

You called me prophet once, sat at my knees
while my fingers played through your hair,
healing: a Renaissance frieze.
At the time, the image seemed fair.

Now, a year since, its memory mocks,
a remembered dream vainly nursed.
Disgraced, the prophet’s back among the rocks,
locusts, wilderness, and thirst.

II

But in my wilderness I saw your own,
as hubris rode you like a demon:
when your wiles enslaved a freeman
to the bondage of your throne.

And on his tawdry court you shed,
as though to do Salome proud,
your seven-veiled shame to shock the crowd:
and, with razored spite, severed my head.
***

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger incognito said...

This is great... reminiscent of Oscar Wilde's Salome...

10 December, 2004 17:27  
Blogger Pincushion said...

Gut wrenching. Hard hitting. The reader isn't spared either. Loved it !!

10 December, 2004 18:58  
Blogger Pragya said...

Agree with all the comments above. It brings so many tales of yore and real instances to life.

Almost seems as though Bob Dylan's - Like a Rolling Stone - could be a sequel to your work.

Loved it!

10 December, 2004 20:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD!! It is as if someone has slit my own throat. My dear friend, this is absolutely fabulous. One of your best. -p

10 December, 2004 22:26  
Blogger zigzackly said...

Been back to reread this poem many times since you posted it. Like it more with each reading. The metaphor, the emotion.

And got even more depth when i read a certain post elsewhere.

12 December, 2004 05:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read it again! All I can say is - UNCANNY!

12 December, 2004 07:57  
Blogger Sreekesh Menon said...

A prophet of poets art thou with thee lyrics !

12 December, 2004 11:17  
Blogger Unknown said...

A shiver ran down my spine as I read this. You have packaged this poem with so much intensity - I even had to move away from my screen at the end! Agree with Peter: the more you read this, the more it hits you.

12 December, 2004 23:46  
Blogger manisha lakhe said...

you have surpassed yourself speck!

...and i want to read what zig read elsewhere!

13 December, 2004 01:16  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page